[EuroPython] EuroPython 2009 Dates

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Wed May 21 20:56:10 CEST 2008

In a message of Wed, 21 May 2008 18:08:06 BST, "John Pinner" writes:
>2008/5/21 Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se>:
>> Ah, its not 'Monday to Wednesday'.  Those are only the times
>> when we have the talks.
>
>Yes, that's how we advertise EP 2008, 7th-9th July.

Hmmm.  Maybe that is a mistake.  Something to discuss with a lot of
people at EuroPython.

>> But the days of sprinting are very much
>> part of Europython.  So I don't think that a weekend is going to
>> be long enough.
>
>No, but if we were to have the core talks over the weekend it could
>possible maximise the community involvement.

This is tricky.  I'm not sure if the number of people who cannot
get off work but would attend on the weekend is greater than the
number of people who have families and other reasons to not
'waste' their precious weekends at conferences.   Does anybody
know any studies of that?

>> I'd be happier if Europython was in September, rather than July.
>
>Personally I'd prefer July, if only because we tend to take our
>holiday (if we have one, that is ;) in September.
>
>> Is getting a week in September an option?
>
>I have July booked provisionally, for both talks and dinner: Almost
>certainly we could change this to September.

But for a whole week, not just a weekend, correct?

>I thought that it would be best to ask the list first before
>finalising the booking, as I know some people like September.
>
>And in the light of recent experience on another subject, I thought
>let's be explicit and ask, rather than assume implicitly that the
>status quo is what people prefer!
>
>As July has become traditional by default, it's generally known when
>EP will be, so other conferences know to plan around it.
>
>So far, it looks like:  July 3 votes, September 1+
>
>John

It's early. :-)

Laura