[EuroPython] Language Advice for Speakers?

Jack diederich jackdied at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 23:40:15 CEST 2008

[thanks to Kirby for pointing out I didn't hit the "reply all" button]

2008/6/28 kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com>:
> Hi Jack --
>
> Having attended EuroPython last year as a USA "English" speaker, I'd
> have to say Euros are quite good at English, used as a compromise, but
> that native speakers have this nasty habit of speaking as quickly as
> possible, especially during lightning talks, which is disrespectful
> and/or insensitive and/or unskillful.

Thanks, that does encourage me to put more of the talk on slides
and less of it in spoken word. The opposite of general wisdom.

> I think geeks in general like to rattle off at high speed, part of how
> they built a reputation as geeks, a lot of 'em, i.e. "fast talk" is a
> tool of the trade, but in an international conference I'd say the
> number one rule of thumb would be to *slow down* -- especially if
> you're from the UK as I have a hard time understanding those heavy
> accents :-D

I think "fast talk" is a personal style or cultural thing and isn't related
to geekiness.  To cite two non-native English speakers (and
python geeks) Christian Tismer is mile-a-minute and Alex Martelli never
uses two words when one would do.  The same spread applies to
American speakers: Glyph Lefkowitz will talk you to death
whereas Tim Peters (Buddhist author of "import this") would simply stab
you and walk away.

> As a former resident of Manatee County, FL, I confess not
> understanding your "Oh the huge Manatee" allusion, though I bet Google
> would help me out there, if it's a joke others know.

It is a cliche popular on the internets (fark.com in particular). The slide
was a confusing mash of C and the title translated as "Oh, The Humanity!"

> Also, I wouldn't say "ESL" as that implies "second" whereas POV's
> Aistė Kesminaitė, a Lithuanian, speaks fluent Polish, German, French
> and I forget what else besides English, no idea in what order she
> learned them.
>
> It's mainly Americans who are mono-lingual, and so come across as
> semi-retarded in Europe, but we compensate in other ways, such as by
> being extra loud. ;-D

Yes yes, as the joke goes "What do you call someone who speaks three
languages? Trilingual.  What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
bilingual. What do you call someone who speaks one language?  American."

Theoretically I speak four languages but in reality I can just read menus and
signs in a couple foreign ones (it would be three but there aren't any signs
in Latin, that I know of).

> Here're some blog posts re Vilnius from last year, if you want some
> tourism ideas (I recommend the TV tower, which I walked to, but don't
> expect to take pictures (no photos allowed from the rotating beer
> joint)):
>
> http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2007/07/europython-hqs.html
> http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2007/07/glass-ship.html
> http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2007/07/vilnius.html