[EuroPython] Is EuroPython happening this year?

Michael ms at cerenity.org
Fri May 12 20:53:33 CEST 2006

On Friday 12 May 2006 10:03, Benedikt Hegner wrote:
> By the way - what the current status for the track chairs?

How can I seriously ask people to propose talks when the organisers don't seem
to understand the following: (after you've resolved the difficult part of
finding a venue)

   * You make it easy for people to submit talks
   * You make it easy for people to register & pay

By "organisers" here I mean the people who stood up and said "we would like to
host/run Europython", not the people pushing you to do it. I've simply had no
time recently to push for asking for talks, and quite frankly at the moment I
have NO confidence that the current organisers can deliver what they offered.

Also, I remember you, Benedikt, boasting loudly that you would want proposals
in 6 months before the conference, and the same going for registration. I had
high hopes that CERN could do this, given your long history.

It now appears that you cannot get these 2 basic steps right.

If you have internal politics, that is destroying the opportunity for this
years Europython, we cannot solve it. I'm not saying I could do better, I'm
just not sure I could do worse.

The complete lack of communication from yourselves (Benedikt specifically) has
been astonishing.

On the off chance I've missed something: is it now possible to register and
pay for registration? After all, I note I've only got 7 days to get early
bird registration now!!!! cf:
   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/europython/2006-January/005555.html

On a more serious note, can we find an alternate venue quickly ? I have zero
confidence that this is happening.

:-(

Michael.