[EuroPython] EuroPython visitor questions

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Wed Jun 22 09:43:24 CEST 2005

In a message of Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:15:02 BST, Rob Collins writes:
>Hello Jacob and Laura
>
>It was good to meet you in Oxford, when I was being
>enthusiastic about py.test. Laura, you encouraged me
>to come to EuroPython, and I'm flying out tomorrow
>night! However, I'm not a seasoned traveller, and
>would appreciate some advice that I can't find from
>the EuroPython website or elsewhere:
>
>1) What arrangements are there for security? I'm
>bringing a laptop, but I'd rather not take it with me
>as I visit the archipelago -- it might get wet! Is
>there anywhere I could leave it safely?

You are staying at SGS in a 4 bed room, correct.  Ok, if you
need security from your roommates, there are lockers various
places around town -- some stores for instance.  But you have
to return before they shut.  At the central station there are
lockers that are available round the clock.  But probably what
is best is to just leave it at my house.

I live around the corner from the bike renting place, at
Götabergsgatan 22.  My phone number is +46 31 16 08 38 (home)
+46 76 227 46 29 (cell).

>2) You mention bicycle being a good way to get around.
>Since I ride a bicycle to work in the UK, I like the
>idea. How likely is theft? Does the shop supply
>suitable locks?

Theft is mostly a problem for new bicycles.  I use my kryptonite
when I am parking some place downtown where there are dozens or
hundreds of bikes, and just the cheap lock the bike comes with
other places.  Out by the kayak club I don't bother locking it
at all.  So -- yes there are theives, but they don't seem
particularly industrious.

The cycle shop says it rents 'everything you need' so I would
assume locks as well.  If you are arriving late tomorrow night
the cycle place will be closed.  Do you want me to pick up your
bike for you so you can get it at my house, or will next day
be good enough for you?

>3) I'm hoping to see a bit of Goteburg before the
>conference. Do you have some recommendations of places
>not to miss? Are there others you know of arriving
>early who might have the same idea?

Yes, and yes.  Let us discuss this in person.  Some of the people who
are arriving early will be heading over to my house.  You are most
welcome, as long as you do not smoke in my house or bother the PyPy
Sprint which is being held here.  Others will be Sprinting at the
university.  Call Dario at +46 706 45 72 73 to get into the math
building where the Sprints are being held.

Paul Everitt and Aiste Kesminaite will be hosting a bbq at SGS,
I think Sunday.  They are supposed to post details on the website
and to the EP mailing list.

>4) I'm interested in your PyPy sprint, but
>unfortunately I have to return to the UK on 2 July.
>Would it worth my joining you for the first day on the
>Friday? Or could I (one year full-time with Python) be
>of any use before the conference (when it sounds as if
>the PyPy experts will be meeting)? I'm keen to get an
>understanding of what you're doing with PyPy.

The pre-con Sprint is for people who already know what we are doing.
So the first of July is the meeting where we explain to people
who aren't familiar with the code.  Sounds like exactly what
you are looking for.

>5) Or are there other sprints on Thursday and Friday?
>None listed on your web site!

The website is wrong.  http://wiki.python.org/moin/EuroPython2005
and http://www.europython.org/sections/sprints_and_wiki/zope_activities_at_e
have some of them.  Or just head to the math building.

>6) Can you recommend a good web site from which to
>print off a relevant road map of Goteburg?

I have printed maps for every attendee at my house.
But if you go to www.gulasidorna.se/kartor/ and paste in
Göteborg you can start zooming in to where you want.

>7) Will there be somewhere I can get broadband access
>before the conference?

My house, or at the Sprints in the math building.

>8) Do you know anyone who could recommend a good
>church for Sunday morning (preferably Evangelical
>rather than Catholic)?

I am the wrong person to ask about this, but they know such
things at SGS.

>9) Would it be possible to meet you on Thursday for
>some help with the maps and orientation? I get lost
>easily!

Absolutely.

>10) Is there any swimming pool available at a
>reasonable price?

Yes.   Map here:
http://www.valhallabadet.goteborg.se/English/to_find_english.asp

But they lie when they say that 'the nicest way to get around
Göteborg if you do not want to walk is by tram'.  Get the bicyle. :-)

>Many thanks for your help.
>
>Best wishes
>
>Rob Collins
>

>====== Test first ======