[EuroPython] Computers off during sessions.

Anna Ravenscroft rev_anna_r at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 19:18:07 CET 2005

On Jan 20, 2005, at 13:55, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> BTW, I've always wondered why people at a conference use
> IRC to talk to each other... isn't the whole purpose of
> a conference to meet each other face to face ? ;-)

Sure. Next time I have a question during a talk, I should get up, walk
over to wherever the person I want to ask is sitting, and ask them the
question. Or walk out to the next room where they're attending a
different talk, ask the question, then return. Right? Or do you think
that maybe IRC would be a quieter, less disruptive route... Or should I
just go along in the dark because I didn't understand something the
speaker was talking about? I've had a couple of situations where, with
one simple IM, I was able to clear up some minor confusion that made a
major difference in how well I understood the rest of the talk.

Personally, I'd rather everyone be able to get the most out of the
talks - after all, people paid to attend this conference, and
presumably would like to use their laptops for just the kinds of things
Harald mentioned. Yeah. Keyboards click. I have a hard time believing
that at a *TECHNICAL* conference, that anyone is seriously put out by
the sound of laptop keyboards. If it's an interactive,
experiential-based session (such as a roleplay), then the speaker is
welcome to tell folks that taking notes (regardless of method!) is not
appropriate for the session. But there are very darn few of those at
EuroPython. Anything else, I really consider laptops to be far less
obtrusive than folks chatting (even quietly), tapping their feet or
fingers or pens, flipping through the program or a book, etc etc (all
of which I've seen and consider far more inconsiderate than someone
simply using their laptop).

Personally, I think the complaints about people using their laptops are
based (consciously or subconsciously) on "moral" grounds - after all,
the original comment was about it being "disrespectful", and the
complaint was about checking email or doing irc, not about people
taking notes. (BTW - how did they know whether I was checking email or
taking notes unless they were reading over my shoulder?)

Mind you - I absolutely agree with making sure mobile phones and
laptops are set to "silent" mode. But, are you really proposing to
forbid folks from taking notes? (remember that many folks have severe
difficulty with taking notes by hand.) Just curious...

Anna