[EuroPython] Refereed paper track

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Tue Jan 13 07:45:39 EST 2004

I had some more thoughts about this.

In a message of Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:40:41 +0100, Jacob Hallén writes:
>I would like to propose that we have a short refereed paper track with th
>following parameters:
>
>1. 6-8 papers maximum accepted. You can give a regular talk (subject to
>regular track chair approval) even if your paper isn't accepted in the
>refereed track.

If we get a ton of submissions could we change this?  This is shaping
up into a day when we would like to hold all sessions in one auditorium
-- the refereed paper track am, and lightning talks pm.  But do we have
a large enough space to do that?  I don't think so ...

>2. According to Laura, Alex Martelli and Armin Rigo are interested in bei
>ng
>selection comittee. More volunteers would be welcome.
>
>3. We currently don't have a track chair for a refereed paper track.
>Volunteers happily accepted.
>
>4. If we exceed budget on the income side, we set aside a portion of the
>additional funds to sponsor travel for authors of selected papers. Funds
>are
>made available to the selection comittee for distribution to what they
>consider most interesting/worthy causes.
>(We know this could attract some very interesting speakers who would othe
>rwise
>be unable to come.)
>
>5. Travel subsidies have to be applied for with the paper abstract.
>
>6. Schedule for submission to be decided by the selection comittee.
>
>7. Refereed papers should be focused on core Python, Python modules, Python
>extensions or scientific applications of Python.

This may be too restrictive.

8. Anna Ravenscroft and I discussed holding 'paper writing tutorials'
   on-line where people could improve their paper writing skills, and
   people could get their English proof-read.
   All we would need is an irc-channel, and that shouldn't be hard.  It
   would disqualify us from being a reviewer, though.

9. In any case, and even if you aren't submitting a refereed paper, your
   paper goes better if you write it with some peers.  I think that this
   is a fine way to bring people together, as well.  So perhaps we should
   organise a 'peer-finding' service so that people who desire to work
   this way can.

10. How long do we want these papers?

11. Do they need to be original for EP, or can papers previously submitted
    to other conferences apply?

Laura