[EuroPython] Problems with the Virutal hosting setup of the site+changes

Tom Deprez tom at aragne.com
Thu Apr 1 04:08:10 EST 2004

Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:
> Tom Deprez wrote:
>

>>> the EPC2002 and 2003 refer to fodlers that do not exist in the root
>>> of the www.eurpython.org site.
>>

>> They DO or at least did exist (lastly checked on monday)...
>> These folders are needed because they are the old europython websites
>> and should stay..
>
> I can't see them when I am in the root of the
> http://www.europython.org site

Correct.  And that is strange... but if you type in
www.europython.org/2002/manage (or leave the manage away), you will get
them....

>>> The same goes for many images that refer to an /images folder not
>>> present in the root of www.europython.org. This makes it hard to
>>> manage images, etc.
>>>
>>> Second, I am moving all the images from the root of
>>> www.europython.org
>>> to /conferences/epc2004/sponsors/logos/. This keeps things neat and
>>> tidy and keeps the root non-cluttered.
>>

>> DON'T move this.... I've let them inside because the epc2002 and
>> epc2003 use them....
>
> There *has got* to be a better way of managing this. This is *not* a
> viable way to go for the future.
> If we wish to keep the old sites around, we shall have to fix that
> URL-paths in them.

It is not for the old sites.... it is for the 'front' epc2002 and
epc2003 pages in the plone site.
I've let them use the image root-folder, since they:

- are the same for all conferences (ie if chalmers sponsors next year
again, the image is the same)
- can be use by all folders
- only use space once.

I don't see the point of doubling,trippling these images... and putting
such a folder in every epc plone folder.
Why does 1 folder in the root clutters the root folder?
If you don't want to have it in the root, then place it in the plone
root folder.

I changed this technique for the old instances. ie they now both have
their own image folder, which was never the case before, but it makes it
more easy if somebody wanted to remove them, but I still benefit of
having one folder of shared images for all conferences)

Tom.