[EuroPython] Voting structure on the web

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:55:20 +0200

Magnus Lyck=E5 wrote:
[snip good points]
> Partly, the questions I placed above are handled by bylaws, but not
> all. For an organisation to be effective, we need to share a common
> goal, be open and understand each other. If we succeed in that, vote
> counting will be rare...

I think these are good points.

You can complain that then nobody voted for the bylaws and a cabal
set them up, but yes, this is a bootstrapping issue and this is how
one commonly bootstraps such a thing.

  * You form a consensus that such an organization is necessary.

  * You propose a structure for it.

  * If most people seem to be of one mind on it still, you take a risk
    and create it.=20

  * People join up.

  * People vote according to the rules, and can vote to *change the rules=
*.
    (the rules allow this)

  * The organization evolves.

If you do it badly one way or the other, people will vote with their
feet and not join up or leave it.=20

We're not so stupid that we cannot set up a reasonably fair set of
bylaws; there are precendents, after all.

Regards,

Martijn