[EuroPython] Two EPC in 2004? :)

Nicolas Chauvat Nicolas.Chauvat@logilab.fr
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 19:22:34 +0200

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 07:15:18PM +0200, Dinu Gherman wrote:
> Nicolas Chauvat:
>
> >I also think that one EuroPython per year is more than enough, both
> >for the attendees and for the organizing staff.
>
> Well, it doesn't have to be the same staff! If some folks would like
> to organise the yearly Intergalactic Pythonista Conference - why not?!
> If there are enough Aliens speaking English well enough to have the
> event on planet Earth, go for it! ;-)

You have a point for the staff. It does not have to be the same.

My concern with more than one EP per year is that my main interest in EP
it the opportunity to meet with everyone in a single place. I don't have time
to travel to different places many times per year to attend to different
Python events in order to get a chance to meet with everyone.

The critical mass factor is responsible in a large part for the success of
the conference. You go because you know everyone will go and this is the
occasion to easily meet with everyone.

If you have many EP conferences, chances are you'll end up with small ones
and a bigger one. See my previous e-mail: let's keep EP the big one and
have local conferences for those that want it. But sending out the message
that "there are several EP conference per year" is IMHO a very bad idea that
could destroy our fragile successes of EP02 and EP03.

--
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais oł est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (France)