[EuroPython] EP 2004 decision rather quickly?

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 11:34:31 -0400

On Friday 04 July 2003 09:12, Magnus Lyck=E5 wrote:
> I think the solution to that would be some kind of legal body
> that stands behind Europython. I don't think this is quite the
> right time to decide about that though.

I am glad you brought this up. When EuroZope grew, I really believed that=20
creating a legal body would be helpful, since companies could easily deduct=
=20
donations from their income, we could officially get government (country an=
d=20
EU based) support and so on...=20

So we created the e.V.=20

Today I think it was probably one of my biggest mistakes I inserted into a=
=20
community ever. <shrug> The legal body destroyed the community, because the=
=20
community felt that the "official officers" had to do now all the managemen=
t.=20
This really hurts in an anarchistical system. (I don't feel like elaboratin=
g=20
on this.) On the other hand the German Zope User Group (DZUG) did a bit=20
better; but this is because there are a couple of people that do most of th=
e=20
organizational tasks, so it is less community driven.

So my suggestion: Just leave the organization up to a loosely held communit=
y.=20
It is more fun this way. A discussion with strong feelings being expressed =
is=20
just part of the game.

Regards,
Stephan