[EuroPython] Tutorial: Using FreeMovie

Jacek Artymiak jacek@artymiak.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:37:14 -0100

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 08:08:52AM +0100, Dinu Gherman wrote:
> > I'm working on a Python port of my FreeMovie library, which creates
> > and parses Macromedia Flash(tm) SWF files.  It is, in effect, an SWF
> > SDK written entirely in Python.  FM comes with a high-level toolkit
> > that simplifies the process of creating and parsing SWF files.  I
> > use it to visualize business and scientific data.  I wonder if there
> > would be anyone interested in attending a tutorial session on this
> > subject?  The FM library is licenced under the terms of the GPL.
>
> Absolutely! Do you have more info on it somewhere?

Thank you. I'll be posting more information and the source code within the next two weeks on http://freemovie.sourceforge.net.  I'm also thinking of publishing a printed developer's guide for the Python port of FreeMovie.

As for the tutorial, I'd like to propose the following schedule:

1. The general structure of SWF files: a gentle introduction to the Flash SWF file format.
2. The general structure of the FreeMovie library: an explanation of the layered architecure of the FM library.
3. Working with vector graphics: creating simple and complex vector shapes, solid and gradient fills, layers.
4. Working with bitmap graphics: using bitmaps as standalone shapes and fills.
5. Animation: simple motion, morphing.
6. Slicing and splicing SWF files: extracting tags from one SWF file and adding them into another.

That should be enough to fill 3 hours :-)

What do you think?

Best,

--
Jacek Artymiak