[EuroPython] send out press release

Nicolas Pettiaux nicolas.pettiaux@openbe.org
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:08:08 +0100

Le Mercredi 13 F=E9vrier 2002 14:57, Laura Creighton a =E9crit :
> I tried the formulation 'free and open source software' for a conferenc=
> I organised.  It bombed.  Everybody thought I meant 'free/open source
> software, that ALSO COST NO MONEY'.  After all, if I did not mean
> 'COST NO MONEY' then either free, or open source, would be enough.
>
> There are no easy answers here.  I have personally moved to using
> Open Source exclusively, and let the unthinking RMS-acolytes hate me,
> but that may not be an option for you.
>
> Just to warn you that I tried it your way and it failed miserably.

Thanks for the note.=20

As Stefane noted in an earlier mail, for many open source and free softwa=
re=20
is the same (at least for him, and nearly for me)

I agree that for people not knowing the details, there is a confusion wit=
h=20
the price. I regret this.

For me the conference is mainly aimed at people who are using python and =
zope=20
in a commercial environment and take benefit for their openness, but also=
 at=20
students who I want to teach the values of this openness.=20

I agree to use the terms that will be the most appropriate and will lead =
to=20
less confusion in the context described above. THis is unfortunate but wo=
uld=20
need too much explanation.

Maybe an explanation could once come. I could once write that to put on t=
he=20
site.

Could we / some of us review the wiki to correct this and present a unifo=
rm=20
approach ?=20

Just an idea: one approach that was adopted at the European COmmission=20
consists to speak about libre software and explain how this temr relates =
to=20
free and open-source. Could we use that formulation ?

Is that OK for you ?

Best regards,

Nicolas