[EuroPython] send out press release

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:26:28 +0100

Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:

> THis stresses the point that there is much local support. Good idea.
>
>  > We should just use Charleroi, since that's where the EuroPython
> > > Conference Team is "officially" located.
>
> We can distinguish the location from the annoucenement places, can't we ?
>
> > That's an option. But giving a lot of places is a way to say this is trully
> > a european event.
>
> YES

Except that it looks silly and is not what you'd normally put
into a press release text. Since the organization team has it's
official lieu in Chareloi, that's the place to put into the text.

> > > The press release has the order right: "users and developers" :-)
> >
> > OK.

> > > Let's just leave it at "open source". I wouldn't want us to get
> > > into discussions about what definition of "free" we mean here and,
> > > most of all, avoid any confusion this whole discussion might
> > > cause. Again, the press release is right here.
>
> this is true but in MANY places at the European Commission and public
> adminsitrations, people are not anymore saying open source byut free or libre
> software, stressing the freedom it gives.
>
> I propose to keep Stefane's proposal and refuse to debate about that (for
> many it is the same anyway)

I'm strongly -1 on that one and refuse any discussion on that
one :-)

Seriously, we don't need politics in the announcement. This is
not the FSF, it's EuroPython. It is generally understood that
open source is a superset of free software.

> > > Something I changed in the press-release is the mentioning of
> > > Java: you don't want to compare Python to Java or Zope to J2EE;
> > > that's a road with a dead end in business talks.
> >
> > Right.
>
> but the reference was good. need to find somthing else.

The web-sites should have enough information on this. I don't
really think we do ourselves any good by trying to compress
a comparison into one short sentence.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH