[EuroPython] determining a time

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 02:03:30 +0100

Marc Poinot wrote:
[snip]
> At the time ONERA was a PSA Member, back in 1999, we organized the first
> Python event in Europe, and it really was successful, we had 100 people.

Neat; I somehow managed to miss this was occuring, even though I'd been
using Python for a while then. Too bad, but very good news that there's a
community there that will show up!

> At this time we had contact with Christian Tismer to have the German community
> with us. And as a matter of fact, we had about 20 German people there.

That reminds me; I forget if I actually mailed Christian. I think I did,
but I haven't heard from him yet. Perhaps you can send me a mail, Marc?

> See ONERA web site archives.
> The idea at this time was to make an European event, but I didn't wanted
> to called it European because of the lack of European co-operation.

We seem to be doing better on the European cooperation front now.

> In 2000, ONERA didn't want to put money again in such an event.
> In 2001, I had the chance to join LSM to have a Python event again.
> This helps a lot to have an ready-to-use place, even if this was not
> the Marriot by the sea.

I did hear about this one of course, but there was just too much
in a short space of time for me to attend (the Zope conference in Berlin
was around then too).

> In 2002, there will be a Python event in Bordeaux.
>
> And now here's the story to come....
[snip slightly optimistic predictions :)]

> Now, maybe the Zope community think they *are* the Python community.
> I don't think so.

The Zope community doesn't think it's the Python community. It's just
many members of the Zope community are members of the Python community
as well -- I was posting on comp.lang.python before I even heard about
Zope (especially as it was still called Principia back then :)

> Most of the people I met in these events where web-developpers of
> course, but there also was a lot of scientists. Please do *not* reduce
> the Python community to the Zope subset of Python users. The Numerical
> Python package is used *a lot*.

I agree completely, and that's why I've been trying very actively to
reach out to to the Python community. I want this to be a *Python* event at
least as much as it's a Zope event, and that's why 'Python' is in front of
Zope, and this mailing list is called europython.

As I said over on the EuroZope list, Zope users will show up at a Python
event anyway; they're already a community and they know Zope is about
Python. The converse is not true; Python is not automatically about Zope,
so we should take good care to reach out to Pythoneers.

> Again, LSM will happen. If you want to use this place for any form of
> pre-event, you're welcome. We can also use LSM as a platform for a
> post-Europython briefing.

The latter could work if at the conference itself it is decided to organize
some European Python assocation at the conference. To formalize things some of
us could then get together at LSM or something..

> Or you can also ignore LSM, I'm pretty sure it's not a problem, because
> the audience are not the same.

Okay, I'll stop worrying too much about LSM and just try to pick the right
date for us. Early july or late june is possible.

> I'll be at EuroPython (you can recognize me, because I'm missing
> the left part of my brain).

Intriguing. :)

> Now, the point is not who gets the idea, but who can actually *do*
> something. Last year, many people had ideas about what could be best. The
> fact is that this year, I'm alone again...

Yeah, it tends to work that way. Ideas are easier than action.

> In 2000 nothing happens, in 2002 there are two events... great !
>
> Marcvs [alias Maybe you shouldn't have to take care about LSM, if you
> can organize a first event I think it would be better before LSM. Marc-Andre
> suggested to be close to holiday, but you'll have a student audience, not
> a bussiness one.]

Okay, so we have early july/late june or late july. Time for a vote, I think.
See next mail.

Regards,

Martijn