[Email-SIG] [Python-Dev] Dropping bytes "support" in json

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Apr 13 16:11:09 CEST 2009

On Apr 10, 2009, at 11:08 AM, James Y Knight wrote:

> Until you write a parser for every header, you simply cannot decode
> to unicode. The only sane choices are:
> 1) raw bytes
> 2) parsed structured data

The email package does not need a parser for every header, but it
should provide a framework that applications (or third party
libraries) can use to extend the built-in header parsers.  A bare
minimum for functionality requires a Content-Type parser.  I think the
email package should also include an address header (Originator,
Destination) parser, and a Message-ID header parser.  Possibly
others.  The default would probably be some unstructured parser for
headers like Subject.

-Barry