[Email-SIG] [Python-Dev] email package Bytes vs Unicode (was Re: Dropping bytes "support" in json)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Apr 10 04:40:30 CEST 2009

On Apr 9, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Steve Holden wrote:

> PostgreSQL strongly encourages you to store text as encoded columns.
> Because emails lack an encoding it turns out this is a most
> inconvenient
> storage type for it. Sadly BLOBs are such a pain in PostgreSQL that
> it's
> easier to store the messages in external files and just use the
> relational database to index those files to retrieve content, so
> that's
> what I ended up doing.

That's not insane for other reasons.  Do you really want to store 10MB
of mp3 data in your database?

Which of course reminds me that I want to add an interface, probably
to the parser and message class, to allow an application to store
message payloads in other than memory.  Parsing and holding onto
messages with huge payloads can kill some applications, when you might
not care too much about the actual payload content.

Barry