[Email-SIG] size of a message

Matthew Dixon Cowles matt at mondoinfo.com
Thu Aug 5 21:22:36 CEST 2004

Dear Eric,

> I'm looking to find how to calculate the size of a message held by
> a e-mail object.  Obviously, I could convert the whole thing to a
> string and take its length but that seems rather distasteful.

As far as I'm aware, that's the way to do it. The as_string() method
of a Message object should make it pretty painless. I don't really
know how you'd figure it out in another way.

> additionally, the project I working on gave me a reason to add
> extra headers dynamically to mail messages.  So I have a new set of
> classes and examples of how to do this and I've figured out how to
> add this to the current classes in an upwards compatible fashion.

I haven't had any trouble adding and removing headers with the
Message object's ordinary API. I'm sure that you've got something
interesting; can you tell us a little more about it?

Regards,
Matt