[Email-SIG] koi8 and base64

Ben Gertzfield che at debian.org
Thu Apr 22 13:03:39 EDT 2004

koi8-r is an 8-bit character set; it MUST be encoded either with
Quoted-Printable or Base64 in order to make it through 7-bit email
gateways.

I originally wrote the mappings in Charset.py to show which charsets
should be Quoted-Printable or Base64 encoded.  The only use for
Quoted-Printable is for character sets that are mostly identical to
7-bit US-ASCII; I didn't realize at the time that koi8-r's 7-bit
characters were identical to US-ASCII.

However, koi8-r messages are usually mostly 8-bit characters, correct?
If this is the case, Quoted-Printable encoding is hugely wasteful (3
characters for every single byte!) and we should use Base64 instead (4
characters for every 3 bytes).

Can you get me in touch with the SpamBouncer author?  I strongly
believe flagging koi8-r messages as "suspicious" if they're Base64
encoded is a faulty test.  Just because some mail user agents encode
koi8-r with Quoted Printable doesn't mean that we should discount those
that choose to use Base64.

Ben