[Email-SIG] My plans for the parser

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Wed Sep 10 00:55:33 EDT 2003

I'd just thought I'd drop a brief note with my basic plans for the
email parser. I plan on a parser mode (or maybe we'll end up with
multiple parsers) that is an absolute "best effort" parser - that is, it
will always produce a message structure regardless of how mangled the
message is. At the moment I'm leaning towards an attribute that includes
warnings and the like that we encountered in parsing the message. For
most (all) of the requirements that I have for this, it's completely
useless to me to simply have the parser say "well, something was wrong
with the message, so I can't show you anything about it". Show me what
you can, let me know what you can't, and I'll deal with the results.

Other things I'd like to add - I'd like to make sure we can handle
unicode strings as inputs for everything appropriate (I understand that
we don't currently do this).

Anthony