[Edu-sig] seasonal challenge to calculator dominance in high schools

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 15:57:21 EDT 2019

On Sunday, June 23, 2019, C. Cossé <ccosse at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll bet every one of those graphing calcs has also been replicated as a
> phone app
>

> That's cool stuff there!  (yours)

Yeah, that's really cool. Was the MoCap (motion capture) done at the
University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO)? They've a new Biomechanics facility
next to the soccer field over there.

There are a bunch of cool videos demoing simulated agents learning to walk
with evolutionary algorithms (mutation, crossover,  cost function)
https://github.com/openai/mujoco-py/blob/master/README.md#usage-examples

https://youtube.com/results?search_query=openai+learning+to+walk

By comparison, my old offline graphing calculator is a frustrating piece of
work with no QWERTY keyboard.

In building a table out of a rolling cart, 2x6's, a melamine sheet, and
some brackets, I had need for rigid body dynamics; to determine how much
force would cause the table to fall over. After not finding any existing
open source software with actual calculations and a few q&a questions with
some equations and parameters, I considered trying to add support to
FreeCAD (with cadquery and Jupyter Notebook) for rollover risk.

It was a good review of counterbalancing forces:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigid_body_dynamics