[Edu-sig] seasonal challenge to calculator dominance in high schools

C. Cossé ccosse at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 14:28:32 EDT 2019

Hi Kirby,

I think kids should write their own plotting routines to graph their
functions starting anywhere 3rd-7th grade.

In one lesson developing a simple solar system in pygame, for example, you
can teach everything from the meaning of pi, periodic motion, dynamic
graphics, orders of magnitude, scaling, OOP,  ... all kinds of stuff.  AND
basically lay the ground-work for developing their own 2D plotting
software.

-Charlie

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 11:09 AM kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Somewhere every summer, I tend to call into question the wisdom of buying
> the kids another scientific calculator at the drug store (we call them that
> here, pharmacies have calculators hanging on racks at the checkout, to cash
> in on gullibility and impulse buys).
>
> This year:
>
> https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/4dsolutions/School_of_Tomorrow/blob/master/Sandbox_Example.ipynb
>
> That's of course the read-only version (vs. mybinder.org) with the
> benefit of a free video at the bottom, not visible on Github, where I give
> my viewers the elevator speech i.e. pitch Jupyter Notebooks using Python as
> superior to slaving away with a graphing calculator.
>
> Not that anyone is still using graphing calculators right?  Sorry if I'm
> beating a dead horse (idiom).
>
> Kirby

ccosse.github.io