[Edu-sig] more about Codesters (in browser Python learning environment)

Santiago Basulto santiago at rmotr.com
Thu Feb 28 17:36:46 EST 2019

That looks really nice Kirby, thanks for sharing it, I didn't know about
it, and we're always doing workshops for kids or beginners, could help a
little bit with it.

Also, we're always looking to improve platforms for our own teaching. A
couple of months ago we released a free Jupyter Lab environment for our
students, in case you want to check it out (feedback greatly appreciated):
https://notebooks.ai

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 6:47 PM kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've posted quite a few times to edu-sig about Codesters, an in-browser
> JavaScript platform (based on Skulpt) that runs a reduced Python, but with
> added features.  Cool learning environment!
>
> I've just uploaded another teaching Youtube, with a very live-demo flavor
> i.e. the goal changes slightly as new strategies get adopted.  However,
> there's measurable progress, as measured by me, the talking head.
>
> https://youtu.be/0GYLToWnhI4
> Season Changer in Codesters ( < 8 mins)
>
> My eventual project, which I'm hoping the whole class will engage in (not
> each working solo, but as a team), puts you in an 8x8 "chessboard" where
> the arrow keys take you from square to square, and each square is a
> background image.
>
> That's a simple framework.  You may then imagine simple games such as
> Buried Treasure based on this simple infrastructure.  A matrix of
> hexagon-pentagons on a sphere?  That would be for another classroom and
> platform. :-D
>
> Codesters does implement the Turtle with penup, pendown, the directional
> commands, so is in many ways another doorway into Logo-style 2D graphics.
> It has a physics engine, with bouncy walls and gravity.  Go crazy!  Fun
> world!
>
> Again, don't think of Codesters as striving to be a Python3.  It's more
> Python2 flavored and is a stepping stone, an instructive environment.
>
> Here in the education sphere, we get to deal with (and even design) such
> things. :-D  Many of us here have been trailblazers, still are.  Yay us!
>
> Kirby

Santiago Basulto.-
Co-founder @ rmotr.com