[Edu-sig] Google Colab

C. Cossé ccosse at gmail.com
Mon May 28 10:15:58 EDT 2018

Hi Dominik,

I understand about software freedom, but even the Free Software Foundation
has worked with Google in education since 2006, for example see this page
<https://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/guidelines.html>.

Also interesting about that page is that the FSF chooses to attack the term
"open source" rather than object to Google.  I believe that's called
"horizontal hostility", like how some Vegans condemn Vegetarians for not
being Vegan enough.

Cheers,
-Charlie

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 1:01 AM, Dominik George <nik at naturalnet.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > That's Google's way of letting us use Jupyter Notebooks in the cloud and
> > share them on Google Drive.
> >
> > I see where students would benefit, not that this is the first or only
> > cloud-based environment.  Another great tool.
>
> Sorry to object, but no.
>
> Any tool that requires consent to Google's terms of use, or any other
> comparably bad terms of use, is NOT suitable for use in education.
>
> Telling students that agreeing with them is mandatory for learning is at
> least unethical and contradict fostering free and open education, and
> minors
> (i.e.  users under the age of 18 or 16, or whatever the respective
> jurisdiction defines) are not legally capable of agreeing, so they are
> either talked into doing something illegal, or cannot take part in the
> learning. There might be other groups this applies to, independent of age.
>
> Please do NOT use such tools in education.
>
> Cheers,
> Nik

ccosse.github.io