[Edu-sig] What do folks think of creating a #python-k12 channel on freenode?

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sun May 13 14:21:07 EDT 2018

#pythonK12 (without the dash) could be a hashtag, as well.

There was a discussion on the python-dev list awhile ago about Slack,
Gitter, Mattermost, and Zulip; which are all HTTP-based chat solutions with
mobile clients and serverside logging.

Python-dev chose to create a Zulip instance. Zulip was initially created at
Dropbox. [1]

Slack, Gitter, Matter most, and Zulip all have free and paid plans for
hosted webchat with bots. Mattermost and Zulip are open source and can be
run on-premise.

I think all of them support @mentions now; which, for IRC, requires some
IRC-fu and constantly idling with an IRC c lient app that may or may not
expose the IP address.

With free hosted plans, serverside logging is limited but better than
directing new joins to the an IRC chan to the log available over HTTP as
HTML or /dcc.

It may be even less likely that edu-sig users will IRC than that python-dev
users will IRC; YMMV.

[1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2018-April/152826.html

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/dev-python/JyyOu5ypBqA

[1]
https://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.python.python-dev#query:list%3Aorg.python.python-dev%20zulip+page:1+mid:p2f37mkblhdoyxys+state:results

> [Python-Dev] Introducing python.zulipchat.com
>
> As an experiment we have gotten an instance of Zulip running for Python's
development at https://python.zulipchat.com (IOW this is for discussing the
development *of* Python only*)*. As Guido has put it you can view Zulip
like "hyper-interactive email" as we have streams corresponding to
equivalent mailing lists and all messages fall under a topic so
conversations are on-topic.