[Edu-sig] Collaboratively developing OER Python textbooks.

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 15:47:36 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 3:29 PM kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I notice the worries about dragons expressed here:
>
> http://www.openbookproject.net/books/StudentCSP/CSPRepeatNumbers/range.html
>
> The type versus function distinction is too big an idea to get into here.
> Skulpt is 2.x flavored for sure.  We notice that in Codesters as well.
>
> This looks like an excellent resource regardless and I plan on sharing a
> link to this book in class tonight, in part just to encourage a culture
> wherein collaboration on teaching texts is more the norm than the exception.
>
> Good work.
>
> On another topic (but related to co-authoring teaching materials):
>
> When do teachers think it's appropriate to start in with LaTeX?  Given it
> works in Jupyter Notebooks between $s, without downloading anything fancy,
> I'm thinking no later than 9th grade?  That's assuming the school is using
> Jupyter Notebooks in 9th grade.  I'd hate to imagine a school that isn't
> (just kidding, I know that most don't, no need to imagine).
>
> I'm far from being a master of LaTeX myself, however I plan to introduce
> it to a class of middle-to-high schoolers later this month, when I teach
> Martian Math.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX#Example
https://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/latex/

"""
.. index:: MathJax
.. _mathjax:

MathJax
````````
| Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MathJax
| Docs: http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/tex.html

MathJax is a :ref:`Javascript` library for displaying
:ref:`mathml`,
:ref:`latex`,
and :ref:`ASCIIMathML` markup
in a browser.

*
http://meta.math.stackexchange.com/questions/5020/mathjax-basic-tutorial-and-quick-reference

MathJax and :ref:`IPython Notebook` / :ref:`Jupyter Notebook`:

* http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/install/install.html#mathjax
*
https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/jupyter/notebook/blob/master/docs/source/examples/Notebook/Typesetting%20Equations.ipynb
  [
https://jupyter-notebook.readthedocs.io/en/stable/examples/Notebook/Typesetting%20Equations.html
]
* http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/rpmuller/5920182
"""

*
https://math.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/5020/mathjax-basic-tutorial-and-quick-reference

* http://data-blog.udacity.com/posts/2016/10/latex-primer/
  - This is a great resource for learning LaTeX with/for MathJax in Jupyter
Notebooks.

At a point, it makes a lot of sense to use executable specifications for
mathematical concepts.
latex2sympy converts from LaTeX to code that works with the SymPy CAS
(Computer Algebra System).

https://github.com/augustt198/latex2sympy
$ pip install latex2sympy3  # [python3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_TeX_editors
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LyX
- https://twitter.com/wstein389/status/1002446637908811776
  > Completely new LaTeX editor in https://cocalc.com .  Open source, is
written in React, has unlimited multipanel views, realtime collab, records
all edits (TimeTravel), forward an inverse search, clickable links in the
PDF,supports SageTex out of the box, and autoformat...
 - https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab-latex
 - https://www.google.com/search?q=collaborative+latex