[Edu-sig] strategies for teaching Python

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 08:30:45 EDT 2017

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017, Charles Cossé <ccosse at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kirby,
>
> A good Python + math investigation could be to use Python to generate some
> type of simulated event data (network, physics, pure math, etc), not
> limited to just 2 parameters per event, and then use plotting software to
> appreciate how different the same data can look in various representations
> (ie, time-series, xy, 2d scatter, 3d scatter, 1d histo, 2d histo, cell
> plot, etc).   Idk ... just a thought, just throwing it out there.  Sounds
> like fun!

Ideas for simulation data

## Bank transactions:
(id, desc, [location], amount)

https://github.com/westurner/pypfi/blob/develop/pypfi/datagenerator.py
https://github.com/westurner/pypfi/blob/develop/pypfi/pypfi.py (a bunch of
pivot tables in static HTML; no charts/graphs yet)

## particle collisions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_accelerator
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collider
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CERN LHC)

http://opendata.cern.ch/

https://home.cern/about/computing/processing-what-record
> The raw data per event is around one million bytes (1 Mb), produced at a
rate of about 600 million events per second.
> […]
> In the first stage of the selection, the number of events is filtered
from the 600 million or so per second picked up by detectors to 100,000 per
second sent for digital reconstruction. In a second stage, more specialized
algorithms further process the data, leaving only 100 or 200 events of
interest per second.

http://opendata.cern.ch/getting-started/CMS
http://opendata.cern.ch/about/CMS-Physics-Objects
https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/CMSPublic/WorkBookDataFormats
- RECO
- AOD
- [ ] find an example actual RECO or AOD file
  - [ ] open it in Notepad++/ViM/Emacs
  - would it make sense to store this in git? as a torrent web seed?

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal-to-noise_ratio
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensionality_reduction

## object collisions
(origin_x, origin_y, t, object_id)