[Edu-sig] Children on github

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 13:30:54 EDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 10:25 PM, René Dudfield <renesd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as part of the move of the pygame (pygame.org) project repository to
> github we received feedback that github doesn't allow children who have
> been given consent by their parents to participate.
>
> This concerns Germany, and I guess Europe (but I don't know the details).
> Here is the report on our mailing list from someone involved in an
> educational organisation in Germany that teaches children python.
> Apparently they introduce kids to python, and even have some of them
> contributing to free and open source software projects they are interested
> in.
> http://archives.seul.org/pygame/users/Mar-2017/msg00164.html
>
> Since I agree with the Python community Code of Conduct that people should
> not be excluded, this is an issue for us. I was wondering if anyone on the
> EDU-sig knows about this, or if anyone can give us guidance?

I searched for "github chldren policy":

From
https://help.github.com/articles/github-terms-of-service/#2-account-requirements
:

You must be age 13 or older. While we are thrilled to see brilliant young
> coders get excited by learning to program, we must comply with United
> States law. GitHub does not target our Service to children under 13, and we
> do not permit any Users under 13 on our Service. If we learn of any User
> under the age of 13, we will terminate that User’s account immediately. If
> you are a resident of a country outside the United States, your country’s
> minimum age may be older; in such a case, you are responsible for complying
> with your country’s laws.

You can/could somewhat sidestep the issue by locally hosting e.g.
GitLab CE (and Mattermost) in Docker containers managed by Kubernetes
as defined by a docker-compose.yml converted to Kubernetes resources;
and tying in with an external auth provider.

- https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/integration/omniauth.html#supported-providers
- https://github.com/westurner/wiki/wiki/bricklayer#docker-composeyml

> This is a delicate issue, and I don't think I have the ability to deal
> with this. Which is one of the reasons I'm asking for help.

https://github.com/contact/report-abuse

https://help.github.com/articles/github-privacy-statement/

If you're a child under the age of 13, you may not have an account on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Online_Privacy_Protection_Act#Compliance

> If there are no solutions to pass on to this group,

https://docs.gitlab.com/omnibus/docker/#run-the-image

GitLab will run on a RaspberryPi;
https://about.gitlab.com/downloads/#raspberrypi2

Mattermost will not:
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/omnibus-gitlab/blob/run-docker-as-git/doc/gitlab-mattermost/README.mdhttps://docs.gitlab.com/omnibus/gitlab-mattermost/README.html#running-gitlab-mattermost-with-https

Other cool things for local software development lab:

- https://github.com/jupyterhub/kubespawner
- http://doc.devpi.net/latest/
- https://wrdrd.com/docs/consulting/education-technology#readthedocs