[Edu-sig] Help with Jupyter Notebook, please?

A. Jorge Garcia calcpage at aol.com
Thu Jun 15 10:09:54 EDT 2017

OK, I never used a Jupyter notebook before, but I've used Python from the command line on my Linux Box and on SAGE for years.

Anyway, here's my problem. My AP Calculus BC students have used a TI nSpire CX CAS Graphing Calculuator all year. In our final project, I collected the Graphing Calculators and I'm trying to show these students how to use other computing environments. On the AP Exam, roughly half the questions are calculator active. However, the Graphing Calculator used need only do these 4 operations (ie no CAS):

1) Graph a function in a user defined window,

2) Solve equations numerically,

3) Calculate Derivatives at a point numerically and

4) Evaluate Definite Integrals numerically.

By numerically we mean in decimal form usually rounded to 3 decimal places (and in scientific or engineering notation if answers are too large or too small).

So, here's my SAGE Worksheet from cocalc.com (aka SMC aka  http://cloud.sagemath.com) accomplishing these 4 tasks:
https://cocalc.com/projects/9b02cebf-ad0d-4213-a57b-32979ac7240f/files/Calculus%20Summary%20SAGE%20style.sagews

And here's my Jupyter Notebook from cocalc.com accomplishing these 4 tasks:
https://cocalc.com/projects/9b02cebf-ad0d-4213-a57b-32979ac7240f/files/summary.ipynb

The problem is that we tried doing the same thing when solving this year's AP Exam's FRQs and I FUBARed the Jupyter Notebook version!

Here's my SAGE Worksheet from cocalc.com (with correct answers)
https://cocalc.com/projects/77404da1-af58-43f6-aac9-60bc5b24bb1a/files/2017AB2-SAGE.sagews

And here's my Jupyter notebook from cocalc.com but parts 2b and 2c are wrong???
https://cocalc.com/projects/77404da1-af58-43f6-aac9-60bc5b24bb1a/files/NEW:%202017%20AB2%20Python.ipynb

So, what did I miss? I'm sure it's something glaringly obvious! Or am I making some sort of conceptional error or misunderstanding the new Jupyter paradigm?

BTW, here's the AP Exam FRQ section in question:
https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/ap/pdf/ap-calculus-ab-frq-2017.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx in advance,

A. Jorge Garcia