[Edu-sig] Python + JS == more than their sum()

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 01:39:32 EST 2016

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 4:12 AM, Adam Morris <amorris at mistermorris.com>
wrote:

> It depends on whether or not we are wishing to teach future computer
> scientists, in which case having a stack with different languages makes
> sense.
> However, in a general education middle school and high school context,
> where we are not assuming that, I think we should stick with one language
> to standardize upon, with other options being considered a “challenge” (and
> not the default). The IB Diploma Program asks students to write in
> pseudo-code, which is an awful lot like Python.

Q: Does any institution have the authority to mandate a singular language
and if so what institution would that be?

A: You've already answered that in the IB sphere it's pseudo-code (not
runnable on any existing virtual machine) and I believe Java still reigns
supreme in US AP/CS world, though I could well be out of date and not know
it.  Feel free to update me, anyone.

I expect we'll see a continuation of competing approaches, reminiscent of
McDonalds versus Burger King, or Coke versus Pepsi, wherein different
"paths to success" get advertised and spread around (franchised).  That
seems to be the pattern.

The (Python + JS) synergy looks promising at the moment in part because of
Jupyter Notebooks (yes, a small niche, but a potentially important), which
notebook technology is now friendly with sister kernels.

Code schools that stay more strictly with JavaScript, as the one language
you really need, are likely to remain popular.  Lets celebrate diversity.
The market reminds me of the one for martial arts schools in some ways.

These "code schools" are not "high schools" per se but may have an impact
thereon.  For some they're seen as an alternative to CS and college.

https://medium.freecodecamp.com/so-that-whole-coding-bootcamp-thing-is-a-scam-right-6fddf14087d4

I'm aware of the Bootstrap initiative -- not talking about Twitter CSS --
and its Pyret language, still under development: an example of another
subculture in the making. I'd like to know more.  I was on the Pyret
listserv until recently, but realized it wasn't geared for meta level
discussions.

Here in Silicon Forest, around today's high and middle schools you'll find
a subculture looking at Scratch (not so much Logo) as a prelude to
JavaScript in a browser, with Python closely on its heels.  Chromebooks are
big.

That's just one way to go among many.  Convergence to any one approach
isn't necessarily in the cards.  I don't foresee any "winner take all"
curriculum on the horizon.