[Edu-sig] more follow-up re Pycon / EduSummit

A. Jorge Garcia calcpage at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 21:20:17 EDT 2016

Hi Kirby,

The background image in your blog shows what look to
be emulated TI calculators on every student's screen,
and I was wondering if the nSpire CAS TIs you mentioned
using were actually emulated, yet licensed on a per seat
basis which is why they needed to be donated.

I have 2 emulators on my Ubuntu Desktop nowadays.
WABBIT is for the TI84C and KARMTI is for the TI nSpire CX CAS.
These are both FOSS WimpDoze apps I run under WINE.
I also have a permanent tab in Firefox pointing to http://sagecell.sagemath.org

My good friend's dad, a civil engineer, had an HP65 and
my friend and I could do little programs that even "rolled
the stack" as an operation.  With parenthesis free reverse
polish notation (no equals key either) we had a strong
sense of what a stack was, sorta FORTH-like.

My first programmable calculator was the TI58C at Cornell in the 1980s which used a form of Assembly Language!
It had magnetic strips to store programs I wrote.
It even had a printer attached whereby I could print out my code and output graphs!

The Unix PDPs scattered about were also plenty
expensive.  I asked for play time on those and as this
institution pampered undergrads, I was given some.

In High School in the 1970s we had a 300baud modem connecting to a PDP/11780 via phone line.

However, around the time of the PC revolution in the
1980s, even before the Open Source / Free Software
revolution, pre GNU / Linux, I started getting more
skeptical that scientific calculator era standards were
apropos.

My first home PC was an IBM PS2 Model 30 8086 around 1987.
I also took home a Commador PET PC to figure it out over the summer after my Student Teaching in 1985.

For example, I can't make head or tail of why the US
Common Core is saying to ignore the "hex rails" our
"decimal trains" actually run on.

I don't listen to the CC rhetoric, I still teach other bases, truth tables and digital circuits!

The bias against doing programming to learn math,
when even decent scientific calculators could do that,
comes across as foreign.  I have to conclude the
high school culture is not one I particularly understand,
having left the high school math teaching profession pre
hypertext and even pre Internet for most intents and
purposes (I had a guest account with the New Jersey
Institute of Technology on something dialup).

All the High Schools I've worked at are programming friendly.
However, more and more new teachers have no background or interest in CompSci.

I'm less in on the conference circuit these days (I didn't give
any talks at this year's Pycon and missed OSCON, though I
did help screen the latter's presentation proposals).  As
Nicholas noted at the eduSummit, I continue actively
posting to edu-sig here at least, one of my main haunts
for some decades.

I speak at local T^3 conferences and LIMACON at SUNY Old Westbury.
Recently, I applied to the PAEMST and got denied since I don't speak nationally.

I mean I do appreciate test driven development, but passing
unit tests that might as well have been written in the 1980s
seems too much like living in a time warp to me i.e. it's
anachronistic.  I'm glad other front lines teachers are thinking
something similar.

Amen!

Sincerely,
A. Jorge Garcia