[Edu-sig] more follow-up re Pycon / EduSummit

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 16:40:44 EDT 2016

Absolutely, I think of you as one of the five or six active Pythonic Math
teachers, plus or minus a few.
The rest are CS teachers, which I salute, but it's not a STEM discipline
except maybe hiding behind
the E and the Es are known to be shy, non-combative, pocket-protector nerd
types who don't stand up
for their rights, really easy to push around.  Ergo CS is second fiddle /
second banana not required not
for credit, but unless you take three years of M in America, or maybe four,
your out a high school degree.

That's all been changing and Oregon is fine with CS-friendly math courses,
and my website touts
the legality of doing that.  Euclid's Method right along with GCD from
prime factors?  Absolutely.
Here's an enumeration of things I consider CS-friendly, all legal in Oregon:

(1) not all functions use numbers (lexical domain used)
(2) a REPL is introduced (calculator was a first step)
(3) functions of more than one step are saved and reused
(4) Euclid's method is introduced
(5) includes Euler's function "the totient" of N
(6) introduces number bases other than 10, esp. 2 (binary) & 16 (hex)
(7) friendly to cryptography as a topic, also standard encodings (QR codes)
(8) introduces prefix notation for operators (per Scheme and LISP)
(9) introduces dot notation (per most OO languages)

Refugee families streaming into Portland are just learning our system and
some are wondering why
junior has to bus across town for the same GED content (to some lead in the
pipes high school)
whereas they're asked to go to "community college" for "remedial" courses.

Why can't the whole family take a course just like yours, online or off?
What's the law that keeps
whole families from going to school together?  Seems pretty anti-family to
many newcomers.

Some cultures don't like how we send "lonely Dory" off to "Tease the New
Muslim Kid High",
while mom and dad have to slave through online GED stuff in English on the
web, even though
both were calculus teachers in Syria or whatever.

Complex world!

I'm mostly on @twitter and would gladly follow you but couldn't find a
handle.

Kirby