[Edu-sig] How programming supports math, not the other way around

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 19:56:44 EDT 2016

Great article.

I introduced Peter Farrell around <guild />.  I'm not an employee there
just someone kicking around in the code school space, coming up with
ideas.  Peter, a math teacher by training and credential, shares my
enthusiasm for introducing a real REPL, along with saving / reusing
functions.

I helped myself to two Diet Cokes, following the Python Circus pattern
of offering participants some free soda pop **.  I were only there a few
minutes, in route to Ethiopian food at SE 50th and Division.

Sheri, the CEO, said they're getting more and more high schoolers
banging on their door hoping to acquire skills denied them through
other venues.  I can attest to seeing this phenomenon with mine own
eyes.

However, what Peter and I are looking at is more PD (professional
development) for their adult math teachers, a more efficient way to
fan the knowledge outward using existing distribution mechanisms.
We'll brainstorm together in a collegial spirit.  This won't be "boot
camp", more pooling memes.

I don't sense much resistance to this idea, including from math teachers,
who are chomping at the bit to be allowed to innovate, rather than to
serve as task masters for some remotely put-together hewn in stone
"core".  There was already a lobby (Software Association of Oregon)
pushing exactly this agenda back in 2009.[1]

"Adhering to Common Core standards" doesn't mean buying anything
in particular, neither textbook nor test.  But I digress.  Message to
teachers:  don't let the "edu-bullies" push you around.

Peter reported feeling heartened by his visit.  I'm still following up
on a lot of new connections, thanks to Pycon.  Great networking
venue!  Great time hanging out with Peter.  More related postings
to MathFuture (another shared file cabinet drawer).

Kirby

** (this every-Monday meetup is distinct from ye old PPUG -- formerly
PORPIG -- monthly meetup @ UrbanAirship these days, Portland Python
User Group, see maillist and Meetup.com for details if passing through,
and/or stop in @ <guild />).

[1]  http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/08/education-planning.html