[Edu-sig] Python Physics Sandbox released

Jay Shaffstall jshaffstall at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 12:55:39 EST 2016

> If what you're looking for is a constant velocity, there isn't any way to
>> do that right now, but you might play with the ball's gravity and damping
>> values to see if you can get the right effect.
>>

> Is gravity global to the scene?  Maybe it could be toggled on and off,
> given zero-G physics as an option?

The scene itself has a gravity vector, and each object can have its own
gravity vector set.  So the scene can be set to (0, 0) gravity so
everything stays in place except for interactions between shapes.  I
haven't played with that, but I like the idea of zero-G physics
simulations.  The damping value can be modified to simulate air resistance.

> This is just a first version, so if you see features you'd like, let me
>> know.
>>

> I was gonna mention this on a physics learning list I'm on but got lost
> looking for the physics engine you're using.  Something embedded in the
> Calico IDE?  I'd not heard of that before, but have so far watched one
> Youtube about it.

PyPhysicsSandbox is independent of Calico.  Calico has a physics engine of
its own, which is based on the Farseer physics engine, which is based on
Box2d.

PyPhysicsSandbox is a layer on top of Pymunk, which is a Python binding to
the Chipmunk physics library.  The sandbox is independent of any IDE.

> If you have any Youtubes or screencasts of your project in action, I'm
> keen to view.  Could be I missed a link at your Github.

I have one video that was from an early version.  Creating more actual
tutorial videos is on my todo list.  Here's that one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZMvNSH62k

Jay