[Edu-sig] Distance Learning: where and how

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri May 22 04:21:12 CEST 2015

I take a debate-encouraging position against the standard
cohort-based, curve- and letter-graded style of teaching in
this blog post from when I was the USDLA (distance learning)
conference:

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2015/04/against-grain.html

But we have more in common than what divides us, as distance
learning schools, I'm thinking.  Especially those of us coming in
from outside, experimental and unaccredited (but what's to stop
Michigan from offering math credit to a high schooler taking our
Python sequence? -- nothing but red tape?).

This article is making the rounds a work today:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-07/coding-classes-attract-college-grads-who-want-better-jobs

More discussion on python-cuba:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-cuba/2015-May/000037.html