[Edu-sig] the idea of "CS-friendly" algebra courses...

A. Jorge Garcia calcpage at aol.com
Sun Apr 13 20:51:07 CEST 2014

I have a similar problem in AP Computer Science. That course has
required Java since 2003. Frankly, I wish they would have stayed with
C++ which we used from 1999-2002 (a vast improvement over Pascal
1984-1998). I wish they'd use python now!

I've been using a combination of SAGE and pure Python in my introCS
course for some time now. We start the year with SAGE and Discrete
Mathematics using the Litvin text.:
http://skylit.com/mathandpython.html

Mid year, we switch to pure Python we use IDLE and VIDLE using the
Think Python text:
http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/index.html
http://interactivepython.org/courselib/static/thinkcspy/index.html

and we play with python, turtle.py and vpython:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL956Pn2cKSgLHSxQLPO6YIQ8VlxLPNgc

HTH,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math, Physics & CS