[Edu-sig] Teaching Python via PyGame

Fred Sells bu4fred at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 17:33:50 CET 2013

I'm an old hand at Python, but really a programmer by trade, not an educator.

Most programming courses that I've taken were very boring due to their focus on text input and response.

I am exploring teaching Python to high school seniors as part of an advanced program.

I thought that a more interactive environment like PyGame would provide more stimulation and a better understanding of  logic thinking that the typical exercises I was exposed to.  For instance, tick-tac-toe, checkers and monopoly can all be children of the base "BoardGame" class.  And while tick-tac-toe may be practical, I doubt if checkers or monopoly would be.

Can anyone point me to some links that support using Python as an introduction to computing at an advanced high school level

and

Can anyone point me to some reference material on tools used to teach python?

Thanks,

Fred.