[Edu-sig] Maintaining the edu-sig page on python.org

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 15:46:53 CEST 2013

As many people have expressed interest in being responsible to maintain the
edu-sig python list, I would encourage you to write to  pydotorg-www <
pydotorg-www at python.org> and express your interest.  Note that, the way the
python.org is currently set up,
what you have to do is
1. get permission to the svn repository  (including generating a private
and public ssh key - if I recall correctly)
2. make a copy of the entire site on your computer
3. build the site (using python scripts)
4. To make changes, you need to edit a single file written in
reStructuredText format
4a. rebuild the site to test locally
4b. commit the changes to the svn repository.

I get about one or two requests a year to make changes.  Initially, I was a
lot more proactive and hunted down interesting sites to add to the
edu-sig page - something I have not done in 2 or 3 years.

As I changed computer, I did not set up the svn repository on my new
computer.  I have received two request for changes that I would pass
along to whomever becomes the next maintainer(s).

Note that, as I understand without being privy to any details, the new
upcoming site is supposed to become easier to maintain (perhaps editing
online?).

Cheers,

André