[Edu-sig] Education Room (Pycon 2013)

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Wed Jul 11 13:36:10 CEST 2012

Hi,

I'm a former teacher currently working as a Python developer and I've
stepped up to help organise the "Education" track at this year's
PyconUK (happening in September - see http://pyconuk.org).

Given this fact and the OP, education is making more in-roads to
conferences so perhaps we could pool resources and / or share tips,
ideas and so on..?

In any case, my current thinking for PyconUK is to concentrate on
teachers. Many ICT (information and communication technology) teachers
do not have a background in computing - often they're business studies
teachers who have side stepped into the subject. Furthermore, in the
UK at least, Python has a good reputation among the CAS (Computing At
School) group of teachers and there's a lot of interest from teachers
to find out more.

I have four aims:

1) Run an "Introduction to Python" tutorial a la open-hatch with an
emphasis on welcoming teachers.

2) Following #1, run a code dojo (see
http://ntoll.org/how-to-run-an-awesome-code-dojo.html) so teachers and
developers get to interact with each other in solving a programming
problem. This is important because it'll allow teachers to observe
Python being used "in anger", encourage them to ask questions and get
a peek into some of the machinations of development.

3) Facilitate the creation of schemes of work (perhaps a UK term, but
basically a block of lessons concerning a specific topic). The final
day of the conference is earmarked "sprints" and I see this as an
opportunity for colleagues to get their heads together and start
working on producing teaching resources released under a CC type
license. One problem I foresee is that UK teachers have to make lesson
plans OFSTED proof (OFSTED = UK education thought police / inspection
monopoly). This usually results in an over-abundance of jargon,
keywords and box ticking that probably isn't relevant to the wider
educational community.

4) Just let teachers soak up Python by being at the conference,
attending talks and chatting to developers. There's also a conference
meal and various social events planned and I feel it important that
they report back to the teaching community that the Python community
is a nice place to be.

Anyway, I see this as an opportunity to promote an international
"teachers who use Python" type collaboration.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions and critique most welcome!

Nicholas.