[Edu-sig] Interested in a BBC Micro in schools project?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 02:34:13 CEST 2011

Greetings Alan, thanks for filing your thinking on edu-sig, where I'm
a lurker from the beginning or close to it (CP4E predates my
involvement).

I think readers outside the UK might benefit from a more frequent
decoding of BBC into British Broadcasting Corporation here and there
in your writings.

To many USAers, it might seem a little surreal to imagine Fox News
muscling in on the No Child Left Behind program, ostensibly run by the
government, in order to make sure it included lots of Python
programming.

On the other hand, Fox has mall outlet stores now, like in airports,
so maybe TV companies are indeed the right entities to be offering us
(their consumers) their leadership.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/5497825739/

Apparently in the UK that might be OK, to have the TV people decide
that programming is a good idea.  Makes sense.  TV is all about
programming.

If a New York based TV company were to get more into Python, I'd like
it to be CBS as I'm a fan of many on that team.

Most USAers would say PBS is the logical choice, because it's more
tightly regulated / run / controlled by the government and so has the
right Big Brother overtones I suppose.

Or what do Americans think?  Anyone here wanna admit to being one?

Didn't PBS have storefronts too?  Lots of eCommerce goes on:
http://www.shoppbs.org/home/index.jsp  (reminds me of the Post Office,
from which I bough neck ties).

I haven't looked at the BBC's on-line gift shop yet.  Does it sell
computers?  TVs?

Kirby

PS:  I'm wondering if you know Dr. Ian Benson as your thinking seems
rather similar to his in some way.  He was based at Stanford last I
knew.  He talked about the BBC quite a bit.