[Edu-sig] UnitTest?

David MacQuigg macquigg at ece.arizona.edu
Sat Feb 26 18:28:58 CET 2011

In my opinion, the unittest framework is way too cumbersome for an
introductory course.  Doctests are simple and self-explanatory.
Students should get in the habit of writing a doctest for every function
they write, even before the function itself is written.

The main limitation of doctest is that it doesn't preserve values or
maintain a set order when testing a bunch of functions.  That can be
fixed, however, by providing your own framework - a test function that
calls the other functions in whatever order you want.  The framework
test is then just another doctest in the test function itself.  This is
a simple extension of what the students already know.

--
* David MacQuigg, PhD    email: macquigg at ece.arizona.edu   *  *