[Edu-sig] Some interactive Python tutorials on basic stats, possibly useful for teaching

Rajeev Raizada rajeev.raizada at dartmouth.edu
Fri Feb 18 19:09:37 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM, John Posner <jjposner at optimum.net> wrote:

> Very nice! I taught introductory stat in night school at Boston University
> -- it was a "one chapter ahead of the students" kind of gig. This kind of
> tool would have extremely valuable for helping students to develop an
> intuition for statistical concepts.

Great, many thanks for the positive feedback!
By the way, I went to BU myself: Dept. of Cognitive & Neural Systems.

> Working with the "correlation" program (Python 2.6, Win/XP SP3 box),
> I found that I needed to insert the statement
>  pylab.draw()
> at the end of the clear_the_figure_and_empty_points_list() function.

Thank you, that's very useful to know.
I will insert that line.
I have only tested on Mac OS X.
I have heard from a couple of Linux users
that the figure-updating doesn't always work properly
when using some Matplotlib backends.
I wonder if inserting that pylab.draw() function
will help to make the code work more consistently
across different operating systems.

Thanks again!

Raj