[Edu-sig] Confused how teach geometry and importance of teaching geometry in 21st century.

Richard Enbody enbody at cse.msu.edu
Fri Mar 26 15:36:06 CET 2010

Another thing to consider is that there is a lot of different math:
algebra and geometry are quite different and someone being good at one
might not be good at the other.  As a former high school math teacher
and one who saw his kids recently go through high school, I believe that
many geometry courses these days deemphasize the logical part of
geometry in favor of a more computational form.  Development of proofs
is useful for reasoning skills, beyond simple logic.  Finally, geometry
is useful for learning about the world.  My $0.02

-rich
enbody at cse.msu.edu