[Edu-sig] Could there be a new test, call it AP something else?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 00:13:09 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Litvin <litvin at skylit.com> wrote:
> At 03:52 PM 1/25/2010, kirby urner wrote:
>>
>> However, if you show the 2 + 2 is adding two objects (2 .__add__(2)
>> the same thing), is that "objects first"?
>
> Yes.

OK, I agree.  2 .__add__(2)  is pretty esoteric, as is dir (2).

Not everyone does that, or talks about __ribs__.

How about if the teacher says:

"""
1.0 and 1 are two different types of number, floating point and integer.

"A" is a type as well, a string type.

All of these types are types of object. <--- more generic than number.
"""

But we might get to that only after using Python as a calculator for
awhile, getting used to **, assignment operator, parentheses.

Should feel like old hat as I bet a lot of these students were already
used a TI before.

So this'd be "objects second" perhaps?

Other approaches:  objects after awhile;  objects last;  objects never.