[Edu-sig] Could there be a new test, call it AP something else?

Litvin litvin at skylit.com
Mon Jan 25 16:22:27 CET 2010

At 09:36 AM 1/25/2010, David MacQuigg wrote:
>I can't imagine teaching or testing CS without an actual
>language.  A much better alternative would be to have the same test
>in multiple languages (perhaps with a "handicap" factor for the
>students choosing Python, so they don't have an embarrassing advantage :>).

Sure, for teaching you can use a particular language (or
two).  Testing is another matter.  Currently AP free-response
questions are not just "program this" or "program that" -- they are
stated in a particular language, e.g., here is a class, implement
this particular method.  They also have a "case study," now in Java,
and ask questions about it, e.g., to write a new method or to
implement a new derived class.  The questions never ask students to
write a complete program.  Then ETS brings together 80 or so teachers
and college profs for a week each June to grade AP CS free-response
questions.  These readers would have to be polyglots.  They use an
elaborate rubric to grade a question, with partial credit given for
every little bit remotely related to the right answer.  Supporting
multiple languages would cost the College Board and ETS a lot of
money, and this is a relatively small exam (about 20,000 students).

There are many programming competitions, of course, where they care
only about the program's correct result, such as  ACSL --
http://www.acsl.org/.  That's where Python programmers have a great
advantage.  Unfortunately, few contestants use it now, because it is
not widely taught in schools yet.  Does a contest specifically for
Python programmers exist?  Is it feasible?

Gary Litvin
www.skylit.com