[Edu-sig] Django or Web2Py for PyWhip

David MacQuigg macquigg at ece.arizona.edu
Thu Feb 25 21:17:56 CET 2010

Since we are changing the name of the project from PyWhip to (PyKata,
PyPractice, PyJet, ???), now might be a good time to reconsider some
other basic choices.  App Engine seems to be the right choice for the
server foundation.  Anyone who has tried to develop a web app with
modpython will appreciate not having to worry about details like keeping
track of user logins.

The one major choice I'm still not comfortable with is the framework
Django vs. Web2Py.  We are currently using Django, because that was the
default providcd by App Engine.  Web2Py is also supported by App Engine,
but perhaps not yet as well integrated (I don't know).  The main issue
seems to be versatility vs simplicity.  My initial impression is that
Django is more versatile and Web2Py is simpler.  Django has the bigger
community of users, more published books, etc., but Web2Py is still
early in its growth.

We need a framework which will provide all the features needed for a
website like JavaBat.com, but will be simple enough that we have no
trouble finding web programmers to take over when our current developers
move on.  I'll let the folks who are ready to step up and do the work
make the decision, but if anyone has any experience, comments or
suggestions, now is the time.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD    email: macquigg at ece.arizona.edu   *  *
* Research Associate                phone: USA 520-721-4583   *  *  *
* ECE Department, University of Arizona                       *  *  *
*                                 9320 East Mikelyn Lane       * * *
* http://purl.net/macquigg        Tucson, Arizona 85710          *