[Edu-sig] Renaming PyWhip...

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 19:31:02 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:07 PM, David MacQuigg <macquigg at ece.arizona.edu>wrote:

> This is the first time I have heard anyone object to the name PyWhip, and
> it comes as a complete surprise.  I've been told that the name PyWhip has
> bad connotations, as in white males and nooses.  This seems a bit of a
> stretch to me, but I would like to hear from anyone who might be using this
> site in their classes.  I am especially interested in the opinions of those
> who have a different cultural background or native language.

While I do not (currently) am in a position to use it in a classroom
situation, I can perhaps give my impression as someone with a different
native language.  More below.

> We want this site to appeal to all.  If even one in ten would be offended
> by PyWhip, we should change the name.
>
> My preference for the name PyWhip is just looking for something short and
> memorable.  I don't like PyPractice because it lacks those qualities.
>
> What about the name PyBat?  Nick Paralante, the author of JavaBat wants
> that for his own Python practice site, so I would prefer something else.
>  When I first heard about this website, I thought of batting practice, like
> in baseball.  I suppose bats could be used against people also, but that
> seems like a stretch.  When I think of PyWhip, I think of short, fast
> problems that the students can "whip through".  Maybe my interpretation is a
> stretch.

I never made the connection between the name PyWhip and the idiomatic
expression of "whipping through".  The only image that came to my mind was
that of a slave driver, whipping students to do work ... not a very positive
one.

Having made the mistake of choosing two non-descriptive names for projects
(rur-ple and crunchy), I would strongly support Jeff's idea of having a more
descriptive name - especially one that is understandable by non native
English speakers.  In fact, while I stuck with the "Py" abbreviation when
making suggestions that included PyPractice, I would suggest that
PythonPractice might be an even better choice.

André