[Edu-sig] Renaming PyWhip

Jeff Elkner jeff at elkner.net
Wed Feb 24 17:07:15 CET 2010

David,

I understand the downsides to forking a project, and I do not take the
renaming issue lightly.  I usually just go along with whatever name
people choose, and leave it at that.  Unfortunately in this case, we
have a name that for equity and inclusiveness reasons is unacceptable.

The Python community is making serious efforts at reaching out to
communities we don't traditionally reach, but it is still overwhelming
white and male.  Any name involving whips or nooses or the like is
just unacceptable to me.  I can't use it.

It is not for me to tell you how to name your project.  But as a
teacher who wants to reach diverse students, I can't use the name you
have chosen, leaving me no choice but to find another name.

If this equity requirement is not too much of an imposition, perhaps
we can all use a new and different name.

Please let me know what you think.

jeff elkner
open book project
http://openbookproject.net