[Edu-sig] No Virtual posters for PyCon

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Tue Feb 2 03:39:04 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the cool idea of having virtual
posters on video at PyCon to encourage and recognize participation by
students and teachers has proven to be a non-starter.

We do have 17 very interesting live posters for PyCon (see
http://us.pycon.org/2010/conference/posters/accepted/) including some
that are education related, but no one has offered a virtual  poster.

At this point we're past the deadline and so close to the conference,
that I'm pulling the plug and not ordering the monitor to show them.

In a way, I understand the problem - I have a student doing an advanced
project on genetic algorithms in Python, who loves to do video, and he
couldn't find time (and I couldn't find time to nag him) to do one. And
probably I didn't manage to get the word out to the right places at the
right time.

In any case, I'm not quite ready to give up on the idea completely. I've
reworked the Google docs form to be more generic (as opposed to specific
to PyCon) here - http://bit.ly/bbS8Ow . I'd be interested in everyone's
opinion as to whether we should try to publicize it and gather
submissions year round, rather than tying it specifically to PyCon. If
we could get submissions we could have a page of links to them from the
edu-sig page, perhaps, and then show them at a PyCon as a bonus.

What do you think? Should we just let the idea go? Wait until the live
posters are more established and then try again? Maybe we can bat this
idea around a bit at PyCon.

Cheers,
Vern

--