[Edu-sig] Python for Philosophers

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 06:07:01 CET 2009

My degree is in Math and Philosophy. Most of the Foundations of
Mathematics courses were in the Philosophy department back then,
including a lot of what turned into Computer Science.

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:25, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been seeing some conversations aimed at expanding the Python
> community (the community of Python users) beyond the world of computer
> science and IT, into the Liberal Arts more generally.[0]  Of course
> this is music to my ears.

The Two Cultures prejudice is one of the worst ever.

> Parallel to this notion that ordinary math learning would be enhanced
> through mastery of an "executable math notation" (aka a programming
> language) [K. Iverson], is the idea that contemporary academic
> philosophy curricula should take these languages more seriously.
>
> What's closer to fulfilling the Leibnizian dream of automating
> thinking, modal logic or Python?  Not that it's either/or of course.
> I've been looking at this one of the Wittgenstein lists.[1]

We're doing quite well at Artificial Stupidity, I hear. ;->

> Speaking of philosophy, old timers here know I've poked at this issue
> of "objectification" i.e. in some corners "to objectify" is a bad
> thing to do, means you're at best being a cold fish, at worst being
> inhumane to your fellow humans.

Reification is also a problem. Most people imagine a world made of
things. Wittgenstein tried to imagine a world made of facts. Some
scientists have noticed that this is a world of a) we don't know what
and b) we don't know how to think about it. Mathematically, the world
could just as well (or as poorly) be composed of relations or
processes.

> I've flagged this as a PR issue we
> need to address.  Along those lines, I've buried a comment for
> feedback, probably won't get any (too buried).[2]
>
> Wev'e got James Bennett in the Django tribe, yakking about the
> relevance of a philosophy background to his work with Python.[3]
>
> Imagine a four-year philosophy program that actually featured some
> programming.

As I said, I did that--Turing machines and several of the
Church-equivalent systems, modal and combinatorial logic, recursive
function theory, non-standard arithmetic and analysis...

http://www.earthtreasury.org/