[Edu-sig] more card play

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Wed Nov 4 04:44:33 CET 2009

In a message of Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:37:54 PST, Edward Cherlin writes:
>On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 22:20, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
>> In a message of Mon, 02 Nov 2009 20:27:35 PST, Edward Cherlin writes:
>>>Cards: You are right on the merits for combinatory math, but you will
>>>run into strong cultural aversions.
>>
>> Why?  Especially when _dice_ seem to be the preferred way to teach
>> this stuff?  (Or is this only here?)
>
>I'm including the rest of the world, not just the US. I expect issues
>to be raised by Evangelical Christians, Muslims and others in various
>countries. Dice might be easier, because casting lots is mentioned
>with approval in the Bible. Certainly we can come up with equipment
>that is not associated with common taboos.
>
>> Laura

I wasn't clear, sorry.  Around here (Sweden), when you want to teach
probability, you get out the dice.  That's how it is taught, and
how all the exercises are set up, etc.  I'm really surprised at
the notion that cards would be unacceptable, while dice would be
fine.

I know some people who would be strongly against both, seeing both
as gambling devices, and I know some people who every year are
opposed to the dice and who would find cards unobjectionable.
I hadn't thought that people who like dice but hate cards exist.
Do you know some?  Or are you guessing that they must exist?  And
if the latter, why?

Do you use something else to teach probability?

still puzzled,
Laura